What other types of marks can be federally registered?

Besides trademarks (which identify products), there are other marks that can be registered - service marks, certification marks, and collective marks. Service marks are used in the sale or advertising of services (e.g., FRIENDLY'S® for restaurants); certification marks are used to certify regional origin, mode of manufacture, accuracy, quality or other characteristics of the goods or services of someone other than the certifier (e.g., UL® certifies quality of goods); and collective marks are used by cooperatives or other collective groups or organizations (e.g., NHL® hockey league) to signify membership in the association or to identify goods or services sold by members of the association.

Last update on September 13, 2013 by Administrator.

Go back